Wednesday 30 June 2010

Flickr

Corn Exchange Street: Cambridge UK
Taken by Prisoner 5413

I LOVE FLICKR.

I could spend hours on it looking at all the beautiful pictures but then I would really never get any work done. I took a look at Sir Cam's photostream and saw quite a few familiar places. I especially enjoyed the pictures from the 800th anniversary light show beamed onto King's College and the Senate House.

Searching is easy and as with everything on the Web, the finding of what you want is only as successful as the quality of the tagging of the posters of the data. (Apologies to any grammarians reading this for the number of "ofs" in the last sentence).
I was able to find an excellent picture of Winston Churchill to illustrate a previous blog post on Twitter which I have now added. When I entered his name in the search box the most relevant results went from pictures of the great man himself through to statues of him in various locations and even people posing as lookalikes. These findings were then narrowed down further by checking for images with Creative Commons-licensed content. As all images on Flickr have an icon you can click on with information about copyright, it is easy to ascertain what you can do with the picture.
The picture I have chosen to illustrate this post is of the Department of Zoology with a small section of the Balfour Library's windows visible. Not a very attractive view but this demonstrates that you can find pictures of almost anything if you look.

1 comment:

  1. I too liked the 800th anniversary pictures from Sir Cam.

    I've had a go at adding some of my own pictures of the Education Library onto Fickr in the expectation that I might do something very clever with them for our web pages - it's my summer project!

    ReplyDelete