Tuesday 29 June 2010

Tagging




Well, I took a breath (figuratively) as suggested but all I was able to inhale was the smell of Mr Sheen as our cleaner had been polishing the furniture this morning. So once I had expelled the fumes from my lungs, I began to reread my previous posts.


I am a couple of weeks behind with my Things at the moment but there is method in my madness. I have been saving them all up for this week when I am at a bit of a loose end because of the Voyager upgrade. Very little Circulation, no Acquisitions and especially NO CATALOGING. Ah yes, a whole week without having to go through any old and very dusty, seemingly straightforward, volumes only to find that the benefactor who gave it to us (in an attempt to save themselves a few bob) had had bound several small books into one large tome. This is not so bad if all the parts have some connection to each other but when they are completely unrelated I have to create a note field the length of an essay to ensure all the relevant information can be retrieved. A hundred years ago people obviously never thought that one day some poor library assistant would have to computer catalogue their donation and still meet the bibliographic standard. Hmm ... maybe this upgrade is not such a bad thing after all.


So, back to tagging. I reread all of my previous posts and added some more subject-based tags as opposed to just Thing 1, Thing 2 etc. which was all that identified them previously. I can see how tags can lead people to your blog who otherwise would not have found it in the vast number of blogs that are out there. However, one of my labels in my blog about Twitter is "Winston Churchill" so anyone out there searching for information about the former prime minister and wartime leader might be disappointed by my distortion of one of his most famous quotes.


Categorization is necessary in library cataloguing as it means we all work to the same subject classification, although there are some libraries in the University which use alternatives to the Library of Congress. LC is very good but it has its limitations. I found this out several years ago when I back-catalogued all of the theses the Zoology Library has copies of. Because they are so specialized it was sometimes difficult to find appropriate subject headings so I had to settle for very generalized ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment