Monday 21 June 2010

Twitter

"Winston Churchill 30 December 1941" By Yousef Karsh


To misquote Winston Churchill "Never in the field of human knowledge has so much been written by so many about so little." An accurate description of Twitter I feel. You can find everything on here from the useful (Haddon Library website and photocopying down) to the irrelevant (Phillip Schofield arrived home late on Monday night) to the downright bizarre (Jonathan Ross tweets that he must sing to one of his dogs). As Miss Crail blogs, do we need to know that someone is about to make a cup of tea?

Some people have thousands of followers and in turn follow thousands of others so with tweets of their own + reading other tweets + replies they must spend all day on Twitter. I have trouble keeping up with the blogs I'm following, let alone anything else.

I found it easy to set up an account, fortunately nobody shares my obscure name. The good thing about Twitter is it forces you to be concise, with a 140 character maximum you can't afford to ramble on and on.

I can see how this would be a useful way to keep in touch with library users but like all social forms of communication, be it Twitter, Facebook or blogging it only works if the audience wants to see it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your - are some of the insights into people's lives really necessary?!

    Like your comment on Twitter's usefulness to libraries - it really does rely on someone actively following you - I also raised this in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your view of linking Twitter to Winston Chruchill's quote is a fairly accurate one, although I feel the same about Facebook too, there are some things I just don't need know.

    ReplyDelete