Tuesday 13 July 2010

Reflection

"Reflections of a Grasshopper on my Windshield"
by MrClean1982

The story so far...

I started Cam23 as a complete beginner. I had barely heard of many of the Things let alone used them or thought about their relevance to libraries. I had also never written a blog before so this has been a very steep (almost vertical) learning curve for me.
Fortunately, the step-by-step instructions we are given for each Thing are easy to follow. The problem I have is in writing my blog. As there are over 100 people taking part in Cam23, all blogging on the same things, it's difficult to find anything new to say. For that reason, it's perhaps an advantage that I haven't had the time to look at many other blogs. I am a follower of two and also dip into several others when I need inspiration. When Cam23 was launched, it said you only needed to spend a short amount of time each week on the Things but I am finding it taking up far more than that. Thankfully, I have a very supportive Librarian who has been actively encouraging me.
I like the fact that Cam23 allows you to go at your own pace. I am a short way behind at the moment but because all of the Things are blog posts I know they won't disappear suddenly. Most of the Things are exploration-based so you can look at subjects which interest you as opposed to being told what to search for. I couldn't work out how to embed a Slideshare presentation into my blog using the instructions provided but I got round that by typing in the web addresses instead.
I hope to get quicker with my blog posts for the rest of the course and to find more time to read some of the other blogs. The Things I would recommend are Doodle because it's an easy way to try and organise a meeting and Flickr for it's vast choice of images on almost any theme.






2 comments:

  1. Regarding embedding the Slideshare presentation, I'm not sure if the instructions made it clear that you should copy all the code in the little box in Slideshare (highlighted on the screenshot on the Thing post) into the 'html editor' part of Blogger. When you're writing your post, you can use the 'compose' window or the 'html editor' - you can choose between the two tabs just above the box where you write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your reflection piece and it's good to know that the step-by-step instructions have been clear.
    I too have found it difficult to write some of my blog posts, but I've found it easier not to read other people's until after I have written mine - I feel I still have my creativity in tact!

    ReplyDelete