Tuesday 27 July 2010

Facebook

Facebook by laikolosse



I had just managed to catch up on all my Cam23 Things before I went away for a week and now I'm back to find four new things vying for my attention. Thing 16 is Facebook which is not the best thing to ease my way back into blogging with. I didn't have a Facebook account until I set one up with the most basic of information and following Cam23's instruction that you didn't have to be truthful, I changed my date of birth. Thinking about this afterwards though, I realised my mistake as not only had I hidden it on my profile but I had actually made myself older. When lying about their age, people only make themselves older when they are under 18 and wanting to buy alcohol or nearly 60 and wanting to pay concessionary prices.


But, back to the original subject. I looked at some of the library Facebook pages. My favouriteswere Jerwood Library, Trinity Hall and the English Faculty Library. They had updates on changes in opening hours, reminders to return books and other news items. They also had photos of events and images of books held in the library. I can see the value of Facebook for a library as a further way to publicise your activities, in the same way that Twitter can. However, this would also be another form of communication to keep updated. Whenever the Balfour Library has news to impart, the Librarian already has to do some or all of the following: put it on our website, post it onto our blog, send out a Department-wide email, post it on several Camtools sites, write a piece for the Departmental newsletter and tweet about it on Twitter. The libraries' Facebook pages mentioned above both had over a hundred followers each, mostly students and academics, I presume, so maybe this would be a more popular way of staying in touch than some of the other ways.


From a personal perspective, I don't like Facebook as I feel it's too intrusive and it can be easy to get caught out. A recent example was a group of pilots from a very well-known airline experiencing industrial unrest who posted rants on Facebook criticising their passengers. They may now be facing disciplinary action. Social media is not like having a conversation or writing a letter, it is there for everyone to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment